Sunday, January 29, 2017

Summer school - Ballarat


It was lovely to spend time hanging out at home & in the studio after the whole Christmas period.
Taking a couple of days to notice the small things: pods, leaves, foliage.. and do a bit of printing.




This year I am determined to launch my online course modules, and began filming course material .. 
so stay tuned to the n e w website taraaxford.com for details



This january I attended summer school.
Organised by fibrearts australia I took a 5 day work shop with British textile artist Dionne Swift, as I had previously done an online workshop and was keen to see how it all worked in real life! It was my first time being at such an event - but with a jam packed timetable and all meals sorted - I soon adapted.


It was super to meet lots of creative people and share in the activities like the 10 x 10, and 15 x 15, exhibitions - these were my contributions... (above)
Next it was looking for inspiration..


threading up the machine...


and beginning a stitching frenzy.. starting with this 5cm brooch piece...


it was a wonderful start to learn how to paint with thread


I was a little shocked to realise how quickly I adopted that timetable.. 
but once I realised how to create a few 'holes' I left the premises to discover: The Lake


which was timely as we needed to begin a larger piece on our last day




It certainly was a whirlwind stitching kind of frenzy 
the last night all classes compiled a show and tell.. 
here's some of my pieces, and the sketches that informed them


I hope your creative plans for 2017 are coming along nicely ....










1 comment:

Jakki said...

Tara - I received your first newsletter - and I loved the photos, particularly the gum leaves. I wanted to tell you how inspiring the picture was and now I have found more in your blog. Lovely

I'm coming back to Sydney in March (from the US) and I cannot wait to see the Australian colours again. Can you recommend a set of watercolour paints that include "Australian colours." I did do a very superficial class on Australian Art when I was at University (part of my BEd) and I remember hearing that the artists who came to Australia had to develop their own palette, European-type colour did not adequately represent what they saw. If I can splurge on some paints (preferably half-pans in a tin), then I have a tiny chance of reproducing what my eyes see!

I have just started to play around with watercolour paints (I'm in my 60's, have never had a lesson, but have made a curious, wobbly path to this point!). The leaves drew my attention as my (self)study of watercolours has made me see objects differently, question what colours actually make up what I see. Now I see you have more photos; more for me to get lost in! What a delight :)

Thank you for sharing your ideas and the way you view the world. It is a joy to receive your posts and your videos.

Kindly,
Jakki

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails