Wednesday, January 27, 2016

From the Hortus Botanicus to the shed...

It's taken me a little while - but if you have 6 minutes and you'd like to see
some more of me making my work ... here it is...


From the Hortius Botanicus to home from tara axford on Vimeo.



After reading Elizabeth Gilbert's The signature of all things, I was keen to wander around the
Horticus Botanicus while in Amsterdam in September.



Once I had returned to the shed - I edited my favourite shots to see what, and perhaps how many variations of artworks I could experiment with.. Of course it began with some gelli plate printing.
Mostly I am using Golden open paints and layering the transparent colours.. although i do often grab whatever else i have on hand...

Inspired by the 'ponds'
 Some of the pieces I create in the video...

collage using some gelli prints

A 'straight' gelli print

Monoprint collage on gelli print background

Inside the butterfly house at The Horticus Botanicus

Distilling down the essence

Collage from gelli prints

collage of 2 gelli prints using hand cut stencil


While it is tricky to film yourself creating, and to 'stay in the moment',
I have attempted to share some of my behind the scenes process, 
as it's fun to see what others do, isn't it?? 
Thanks for dropping by - hope you enjoy watching.

9 comments:

Henriƫtte said...

Wow lovely inspiring video @ amazing prints !! Thans for sharing.
Henriƫtte

Bix said...

Well done for both the filming and the creating. Its how I love to use my plate too and am always inspired by whats around me. Havent done printing for a while, but will dedicate my day to it tomorrow. Bx

Helena said...

Inspiring!

Rose said...

I finished reading that book just this morning. Oh, how I would love to visit that same place! Your video and your work is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing

Lynda Shoup said...

I am always wowed by your creative process. The video was a wonderful peek into that process. Love everything about it. The video was very effective and such a joy to watch. Thanks for posting this where I can see it.

Cheryl Johnson said...

I so enjoy watching the process you go through, to make your stunningly beautiful art work.

Sigrun Sigurdardottir said...

Thank you so much for sharing, loved this video, very inspiring, I will visit the Hortus Botanicus garden when I will go to Amsterdam in May :)

catseatdogs.com said...

Your video is mesmerizing! I was directed to your blog by a friend and I am so pleased I found you. I have a gelli plate and been a bit stuck with it, well, no more! I am inspired to get it out and get playing. I would love a shed too.....

Mammarte said...

Hi there, just wanted to say enjoyed your Blog, and also the yummy Gelli plate work. I only started Gelli last year after a workshop at Derivan factory open day. Commercial one was expensive for me so I've got some home made ones, 2 different recipes, and one is a circle, rest are rectangular. I've just bought a vintage laundry mangle to convert to a printing press, and there is a shed I want to put up as a She-Shed for printmaking, sculpture and woodwork jobs.I think that would be cool to have a little outdoor studio.Any way I will be enjoying watching your printing and also a big fan of collage.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails