Saturday, July 25, 2015

Pattern Play: from the desert to the shed

Reflecting back on last year I realised once again how much I love taking + making pictures. It seemed a logical next step to make them move... in the Christmas holidays I signed up for a course with the filmmaker /photographer Xanthe Berkeley, soon i was chopping and clipping all over the place. Now 6 months later, I could experience the incredible environment of Central Australia capture the memories, AND bring it all back to the studio.

While not a how-to film, hopefully how i translated my inspiration and the process involved will become apparent. I don't know about you, but there is something about watching other people create... I know I enjoy a bit of sticky beak into a studio - i hope you do too!

From the desert to the shed from tara axford on Vimeo.
After a visit to Uluru, Northern Territory, Australia I spent time in the shed looking at my photos to see where patterns formed. I made marks, made prints and then made my patterns.

Ahhh, so having the start of a pattern, a textural print was all very nice - BUT trying to repeat that had eluded me! Once again I ventured online and found the lovely Jessica Swift who made the technique ... just about seamless! As they say practice does make perfect, but here are some of my initial attempts seen in the video above.



a gelli printed base with additional marks

a gelli printed base with additional marks + collage elements

a gelli printed base with additional marks

digital design using Adobe Shape app on my iphone
to capture sketches and convert to vector art. Then repeat in Adobe illustrator.

So there you have it, first round. It'll be nice to have those sit for a bit 
and then come back for round 2 perhaps...

9 comments:

katiecrackernuts said...

So clever. The art and the video. It's definitely a place that you can draw visual inspiration from.

katiecrackernuts said...

So clever. The art and the video. It's definitely a place that you can draw visual inspiration from.

Denise Spillane said...

I really loved this. Your work is amazing.

Carolyn Moulton said...

I've been looking at your work for a while now and I'm on your email list. I found you when I was googling around for gelli plate posts. In fact, it was something you posted about Carla Sonheim that got me signed up for the Year of the Spark which I am really loving.
I think your prints are wonderful. I love the latest video. I shall wear out my screen looking at it!! It is so inspirational to see your ideas developing. Thank you for being so generous showing your work processes.
I am in the East of England and I've said more than once how amazing it is that someone in Australia led to me being on a course with someone in America.
Best wishes, Carolyn

Shelbyville said...

This is just terrific T! I love witnessing your creative journey, from your experience of the place, to photographing its details, to translating it all into sketches/colours/textures/patterns. Excellent video - really captures the process beautifully. What have you used to put the video/stills/music together?
M xx

Linda said...

Wonderful post, and I love the video.

Henriƫtte said...

Amazing video and so inspiring ! Thanks Tara

Robi Awaludin said...

.I really like the content in this website, are all new things and new lesson for us this very increase knowledge becomes more widely,
obat gondok

robi gaspar said...

Articles were very nice and good enough to be listened to or visit.
cara alami menyembuhkan atresia bilier

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails