Have you heard of mixed media artist Serena Barton? She is also the author of Wabi-sabi art workshop and has a separate blog for that here. It seemed like the ideal start to my week on holiday.
As Serena explains "Wabi-sabi is an aesthetic that values the passing of time, the seasoning of time and the elements, the handmade and the simple". In her book Serena demonstrates how to be inspired from your own photos and how to use that to create textural and abstract pieces.
She provides step by step examples and offers lots of great ideas. A process that got me in, was the idea of painting with re-inkers - the bottles meant to give life to dried up ink pads. Not being blessed with a huge variety of art stores in Sydney, I found my inks online here and some great little boards here.
I must admit i didn't follow any of Serena's examples - BUT they were so inspiring and gave me the starting point and explained the essence of the approach. I couldn't wait to sort through my photos and create a texture/wabi-sabi folder. I started with this one:
Snapped on my iphone one day at the beach, then processed through phototoaster app. Using Serena's painting with re-inkers method I created this:
|"into the water" reinkers on board 125mm x 175mm|
I also thought this method would work with one of my iphone shots taken while on a road trip, as the car was moving (obviously i was the passenger). I really like this shot as it as - but decided to use it as a starting point anyway.
|iphone shot processed via snapseed app.|
It took me a while to work out what to do with the trees, in the end i used a bit of ink then scratched them off. I have a love/hate relationship with painting landscape!
|"on the road" reinkers on board 125mm x 175mm|
Once I'd got that out of my system i wanted to try something a little more abstract. Sorting through my (iphone pics) i found these two:
I really liked the way they worked together also. So embracing imperfection i created this
|"hands free" reinkers + acrylic on board 200mm x 150mm|
I did actually have to work with 'happy accidents' too as i decided to use transfer artist paper to get the 'actual' image onto the board, but it didn't quite all transfer - so i had to work with this and paint some back in.
It was however fun times in the shed. Thanks Serena!