Sunday, October 21, 2012

what have I been doing.. again.

Recently, having rediscovered the library, i borrowed this:


Vera Neumann was a legendary artist and designer whose career spanned 5 decades from 1942 to 1993. She designed everything from wallpaper, bedding, tablecloths and scarves. Her images were based on her original artworks which typically featured painterly florals or imagery
inspired by her travels.
I have always been drawn to her designs which are so graphically beautiful...

the book is a wonderful resource...

showcasing so much of her work and her story
One weekend i began with handcarving a stamp in the shed..




once inked up and printed i scanned it in...


Using indesign i just experimented with different colours and placements, imagining what it would be like to be a scarf designer. Hey, my name even has 4 letters too! 


Then i used a piece of 4mm foam and a sharp tool to draw a 'plate'
I printed it a couple of different ways...



But wasn't that fussed ( it was all a bit twee) - so scanned it in - and went digital...


Sometimes more is more, don't you think?
While i was pretending to be a textile designer from a time gone by i kept playing with shapes:


This used other prints from the gelli plate or hand carve combos..

Then i drew some squiggles and 'coloured' them in...



I must do it again soon... whose 'hat' or 'scarf' would you like to wear?







2 comments:

Jenny said...

I just love your prints. I could absolutely see these on a scarf or pillows for my couch. Really nice work Tara!

Kim Henkel said...

I too think your prints are wonderful... and it looked like you had a fun time creating them. Great work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails